The most important thing to keep in mind when looking for a divorce lawyer is that you don’t need to go with the first one you meet. One of the most important decisions you make when deciding to get divorced is finding a good lawyer.
Many lawyers will advertise themselves as family or divorce attorneys, but family law takes time and experience to master a specific specialty. Within this area of law, there are further specialties and financial aspects of divorce, so you should ensure that you find someone who is an expert in this particular aspect. There is a vast body of law that applies to these issues, so you will need to find someone who understands the divorce law’s intricacies and nuances based on your location.
If you have an uncomplicated case with minimal financial issues and no dependents, then you might feel comfortable going with someone who is less experienced. If the case is complicated, though, you will want to go with a more experienced lawyer.
When you are having the first meeting with a divorce lawyer, you should ask the following 10 questions in order to get a better idea of how your relationship will be with your lawyer and law firm.
- Do you specialize in divorce law, and if not, how much of the practice is dedicated to it?
- What is your strategy for the case? How long do you think it will take?
- How can I reach you? How long does it usually take to return phone calls?
- Will there be anyone else working on my case?
- How will I be charged? What is the hourly rate? What is your retainer?
- What other costs will be involved, and how will I be charged?
- Do you allow me to negotiate directly with my spouse?
- How can I keep costs down?
- Based on the facts, how do you think the judge will rule?
- What can you do to help me understand the tax effects of the decisions I will have to make?
Now that you have the questions to ask during your meeting, you should be able to make an informed and educated decision on which lawyer to use going forward with your divorce. Contact JC Legal Solutions for your divorce needs, we will be happy to answer the following 10 questions during your FREE consultation.